What is the VACCA Kinship Finding Program? The VACCA Kinship Finding program is the first family finding program in Victoria for Aboriginal children and young people aged 0-18 years who are subject to child protection involvement, and who are in out-of-home care.
We are a culturally safe state-wide program that assists in family finding, to identify Aboriginal kinship networks, and to research Aboriginal family trees for the purpose of connecting children to kin, country and culture.
We accept referrals from:
· The Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH).
· Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations (ACCOs) with Section 18 programs (of the Children, Youth and Families Act 2005), such a Nugel.
VACCA Kinship Finding has a dedicated Facebook Page and may contact family for the following reasons:
- Child is 1st time entry into child protection.
- Child is in a contingency placement.
- Child is in residential care, or likely to be placed in residential care.
- Child is in an existing foster care placement with non-Aboriginal carers.
- Child is in kinship care, but placement may breakdown, or requires longer term kinship placement.
- Child is in a stable placement, but requires respite care.
- Child’s family tree is being researched and expanded for their Cultural Support Plan.
Kinship helps define the connections a child or family member can have within their family groups, community, Country, or nation. By keeping Aboriginal children connected to their kinship networks, children stay connected to their culture. Culture is a protective factor for children and is known to be a determining factor for Aboriginal health and wellbeing. Connection to culture and community supports the social, physical, and emotional wellbeing of Aboriginal children and their families.
Please note, the VACCA Kinship Finding program is not open to the public for family finding services. We only accept referrals from the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH), Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations (ACCOs) with Section 18 programs (such a Nugel) for family finding purposes.
If you wish to learn more about VACCA and the Kinship Family Finding program, please call VACCA on (03) 9287 8800, or visit our Kinship Finding Facebook Page.
Alternatively, you can reach our Program Support Officer, Effie, on 0428 123 851. For any enquiries about the VACCA Kinship Finding program, please email: email@example.com.