Becoming a Foster Carer is a rewarding and life-changing experience, for both you and the child or children in your care.
Like all life-changing journeys, it can be tricky to know how to start! With VACCA, you won’t have to do it alone. We offer ongoing support and training for our Carers, with lots of opportunities to connect with other Carers on the same journey.
Training and skills support
Our team will be there to guide you through the entire process, from your initial application and training, to providing ongoing support
When you become a Carer with VACCA, you’ll participate in a comprehensive online training course, taken at your own pace over 8 weeknight sessions or 3 full days. Our 2-day cultural awareness training course supports you to confidently provide a culturally safe environment for an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander child or young person in care.
You’ll also be able to access ongoing training opportunities with the Foster Care Association of Victoria and Carer Kafe.
Specialised carer support
In addition to training and development support in starting your Foster Care journey, VACCA provides Carers with:
- An out of hours emergency number for extra support at any time
- Ongoing support from a Caseworker, with regular home visits and phone contact
- Access to support from our extended care team
- Regular Carer gatherings and cultural events for children
- Ongoing Foster Care training and learning opportunities
- Specialised support from our Therapeutic Team
- 21 nights paid respite per year for full time Carers
Becoming a Carer is a rewarding, life-changing experience for both you and the child or young person in your care. If you’re ready to start your journey, VACCA is here to support you.