Leadership through Crisis – Celebrating Extraordinary People in Extraordinary Times
The Mollie Dyer Awards have returned for 2021, named in honour of our extraordinary co-founder Aunty Mollie Dyer, who advocated tirelessly for Aboriginal children and families.
The Awards celebrate the excellent work undertaken by Victorian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in support of Aboriginal children, young people and families.
Over the past year the COVID-19 pandemic has forced many of our people to overcome significant challenges to continue to deliver services, provide support, and meet critical needs for Aboriginal families and communities across Victoria. The Awards theme this year recognises and celebrates those extraordinary people who have risen to the challenge of these extraordinary times.
The Awards are presented in three categories:
- Emerging Leaders (18-24 years) - Celebrating an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young person living in Victoria who has shown strength and leadership in a time of need and crisis. Our young people are the next generation of change-makers and we want to celebrate how deadly they are!
- Community Leaders - Recognising an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community member living in Victoria who has shown leadership through crisis. This could be by adapting to new challenges and changes, advocating for the needs of their community, or caring for their community during difficult times.
- ACCO Leaders - Recognising an exceptional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person who, through their work, has adapted to the challenges of crisis and positively contributed to the lives of Aboriginal children, young people and families. This could be through improving practice, service excellence, raising awareness, or advocating for the rights of Aboriginal children, young people and families during times of crisis.
Nominations are open Monday 30 August - 5pm Friday 8 October, 2021. There are three ways to nominate:
- Online - submit your nomination via awards.vacca.org
- Email - download a nomination form, complete and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone - call 0439 921 589 to submit your nomination over the phone
The winners in each category will be presented in a virtual event at the VACCA AGM and in-service on Friday 26 November 2021. The presentation will be live-streamed, please watch for further details.
If you know someone whose excellent work deserves recognition and who fits the criteria, nominate them now! Nominations close at 5pm Friday 8 October 2021.
Please spread the word and help to recognise the extraordinary work of extraordinary people through these challenging times, in support of Aboriginal children, young people and families.
Downloadable resources for the Mollie Dyer Awards can be found at the bottom of this page, or contact us via email@example.com for hard copies.