Assistance for Community Members

Home > COVID-19 Support > Assistance for Community Members
pattern image pattern image

There is a range of support available for community members who need assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Emergency Relief Packs

Emergency relief packs will be distributed to isolated and vulnerable people in quarantine who have no family or friends that can help out. If you are unable to access goods or medicines due to hardship or vulnerability while being directed to self-isolate, you can access a relief pack.

Relief packs contain a box of groceries for 14 days and can be tailored for various needs to include items such as baby formula, nappies and toilet paper.

To access a relief pack, call: 1800 675 398.

These relief packs are being provided by the Victorian State Government.

Priority Assistance - Supermarket Home Delivery

Some supermarkets have introduced priority home deliveries to help elderly people, people with a disability, those with compromised immunity and those in mandatory isolation.

Find out more:

Woolworths have also developed a Basics Box for vulnerable families and individuals. Learn more here.

Free PBS Medication Delivery

There is now a free home delivery service for medicine for people who are sick, vulnerable or self-isolating.

People who are eligible include:

  • People who are sick,
  • People who are self-isolating,
  • Anybody over 70,
  • First Nations people over the age of 50,
  • People with chronic health conditions or whose immune systems are compromised, and
  • Women who are pregnant or have a new baby.

How it works:

  • Pharmacies can now use Australia Post to mail essential medications to your door,
  • The service is for PBS medications; however, you can ask the pharmacy to add other over-the-counter medications to the delivery,
  • You can have a delivery once per month, and
  • To order, call your local pharmacy (different pharmacies will have different ordering systems).

You can find more information here.

Education Support

Remote learning has brought with it much change for children, young people, carers and families that we support and we understand that this is a challenging time for everyone.

For more information about changes in education and information to support carers and young people, click here.

Here are a few points of clarification about the rights of our children and the responsibilities associated with their education:

  • Every vulnerable Aboriginal child in Victoria aged 6-17 years has the right to attend their local state school and if for some reason they have been excluded from a school, it is the role of that school and the Department of Education to continue to oversee the education of that child until an alternative schooling arrangement is found.
  • Every Aboriginal child of compulsory school age (6-17 years) should have and be overseen by a Student Support Group (SSG) organised by the school that meets each term to work out how to best support the child at school (this needs to include the family, community, VACCA or relevant agencies too)
  • Every Aboriginal child of compulsory school age (6-17 years) should have an updated Individual Education Plan (IEP) developed by the SSG at the school, that is implemented and followed — action that is especially important during the COVID-19 crisis.
  • If a student does not have internet access and has yet to receive a dongle, it is the requirement of the school to continue to provide a hard copy of their work until internet access is available. You can ask your worker to request this for a young person if it has not yet occurred.

If you need any support with education please contact your VACCA case worker or call your nearest VACCA office.

For more services available:

For all Centrelink and Federal government support packages announced, visit Department of Social Service.

Stay up to date

To stay up to date with the latest information relating to COVID-19, visit:


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this website may contain images, voices or names of deceased persons in photographs, film, audio recordings or printed material. To listen to our Acknowledgement of Country, click here.